Friday, June 20, 2014

Questions & Answers, with artist Austin Danson

Questions & Answers, Artist Residence Program @ Morris B. Squire Foundation   

with Artist; Austin Danson

santa barbara, artist, funk zone, arts fund, installation, art

" Sooperfunction! " Installation view
November 2013

How long will you be staying at the foundation?


I will be staying here for about three and a half months; mid June to the end of September

What art projects will you be working on?

My main focus will be a continuation and exploration of my painting practice—a lifelong project of developing my own visual vocabulary for expression, communication, and intellectual stimulation through paint. It will be interesting to see how being back in Santa Barbara, where I grew up, will influence my paintings. I am looking forward to working on some more distinctly autobiographical work as well, which will focus on religion.
Additionally, Morris contacted me a few years ago about working on one of his projects. I didn’t have the skill set at the time to be able to, but now know how to create what he had in mind, and so would like to do that if we can find some sketches or writings about the proposed work.




santa barbara, art, artist, ink, rice paper, mica,

"Before"
Sumi ink and water color on sized rice paper with mica
24"x56"

How did you hear about the program?


I wanted to come back home to Santa Barbara for the summer to process my last year in LA. I was looking around for any residency programs, and a friend told me about the foundation. I contacted Ashley Hollister with some ideas, she seems to have liked them, and here I am!


What are you looking forward to during your stay?


Having the time to focus solely on my artistic practice, and to be able to choose solitude when necessary, and yet experience the magic of our town when I choose to. As an artist (a young artist in particular), space and time are really luxuries and large amounts of them give you the opportunity to vastly grow your practice.I am also very excited about contributing to the artistic upwelling of Santa Barbara born people of my generation. We’re living in an exciting moment for the city. A lot is changing very quickly, and its great to see us grow and open up to a larger contemporary dialogue. There is an energy in this push for a more contemporary and active Santa Barbara that I am anxious to draw upon in my work.

What are your plans for the future?

I’ll be graduating UCLA next June, and then it’s off to grad school to pursue my MFA. After that, making, showing, thinking, writing, learning, and exploring for as long as I can.



acrylic, oil, flash, shaving cream, canvas, art, artist

"Gentle Thrills"
acrylic, oil, flash, and shaving cream on canvas
20"x20"



To learn more about Austin Danson & his art, visit:www.austindansonart.com


To learn more about the Artist Resident Program at the Morris B. Squire Foundation, a non profit art foundation in Santa Barbara, CA, visit:http://www.morrissquirefoundation.org/#!resident-artist-program/c1rwj

No comments:

Post a Comment